5 Credit Cards That’ll Help You Make The Most Of The Chinese New Year
Chinese New Year is about more than the good food and ang paos, there’s shopping to get to and you simply must make the most of the sales everywhere.So, here are our recommendations of 5 top credit cards to help you make the most of the Year of the Pig.
OCBC Titanium Rewards Card
For all those sales, there is no better credit card to use than the OCBC Titanium Rewards Card. You get 10x OCBC$ per S$1 spent on clothes, bags, shoes, children’s clothing, electronics and gadgets, and on your department store spends.
There is no minimum spend criteria you need to meet, so you start earning 10x OCBC$ from the minute you swipe your card. You can earn a maximum of 120,000 OCBC$ in a year on categories that earn you 10x OCBC$. This means you can shop for yourself and your family for an amount up to S$12,000 before you need to switch to another card.
All the points you accumulate can be redeemed for vouchers or be converted to miles. With 25,000 OCBC$ giving you 10,000 KrisFlyer miles, 120,000 OCBC$ can earn you 48,000 KrisFlyer miles. You can use these miles to fund an economy advantage ticket to Australia.All the more reason for you to get shopping (with this card in hand, of course!).
A few shopping deals to look out for:
- If you plan to buy electronics and gadgets, then consider doing so at BEST Denki. You will enjoy a cash rebate of 2% over and above the 10x OCBC$.
- Get 8% off with a minimum spend of S$85 on Love, Bonito. Enter the promo code ‘CNYOCBC’ along with the first 6 digits of your card at checkout. This offer is valid until 28 February 2019.
Here are a couple of travel deals courtesy of OCBC:
- Get up to 8% off hotel bookings made on Agoda. Bookings need to be made by 28 February 2019.
- Enjoy 10% discount on selected hotel reservations made on Expedia (valid until 31 January 2019).
Dining deals to whet your appetite:
- East Ocean
- Get 10% off on Niangao and festive cakes until 1 February 2019.
- Until 1 February 2019, get a Prosperity Bounty Niangao for S$25.
- Peach Garden
- Bookings made before 4 February 2019 get 20% off on New Year Eve Reunion Lunch (for 4 February 2019).
- All orders on e-shop for New Year goodies and Yusheng get 10% off (valid until 14 February 2019).
- Rasel Catering Singapore: Order Chinese New Year Packages worth S$888 and get Yusheng with Fried Fish Skin for free. This offer is only for packages ordered and scheduled for delivery before 19 February 2019.
Citi PremierMiles Visa Card
The New Year is all about ushering health, prosperity, and chasing your dreams. If your dream is to travel, then use the Citi PremierMiles Visa Card for your Chinese New Year spends.
You earn 1.2 Citi Miles per S$1 spent locally and 2.4 Citi Miles per S$1 spent overseas. You also have the opportunity to earn bonus miles (7 Citi Miles per S$1) on travel bookings made on Agoda (until 31 January 2019). And that’s not even the best part. There is no minimum spend, no cap on the miles you earn, and your Citi Miles don’t expire.
Additionally, with this card, you get access to Citi Gourmet Pleasures. So, you get to save on your food bills and earn rewards while using your credit card to pay for your meal. Saving and travelling – that’s two resolutions down with one card.
Check out these dining deals for the New Year:
- Taste Paradise: 10% discount on festive takeaways (valid until 19 February 2019).
- Sweet Spot, Marina Bay Sands: 15% off Chinese New Year treats (valid until 10 February 2019).
- Szechuan Court, Fairmont Singapore: Get 25% off on set menus for bookings made before 31 January 2019 and 15% off on set menus for bookings made from 1 February until 19 February 2019.
Get some shopping done and earn miles with these deals:
- Get up to 20% savings on purchases made on Lazada (valid until 31 January 2019).
- Get 10% off purchases made on Love & Bravery (valid until 28 February 2019).
HSBC Visa Platinum Card
This New Year, celebrate what matters the most – your family. With the HSBC Visa Platinum Card, you get 5% cash rebate (awarded every quarter) on dining and grocery spends. So, you can choose to have your reunion dinner either at a restaurant or at home!
Additionally, your children get to enjoy freebies such as dining for free at Pool Grill,
Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel and AquaMarine, Marina Mandarin, among other restaurants.
Keep in mind, though, that to be eligible for the 5% cash rebate, you need to spend a minimum of S$600 per month for three months if you are an existing cardholder. New cardholders who receive the card while a particular quarter is underway, need to spend a minimum of S$1,000 for the remainder of the quarter to earn the 5% cash rebate.
Try your luck this New Year with this giveaway courtesy of HSBC:
Register your HSBC credit card and you can be one of the lucky 1,000 customers to get the following (for spends from 21 January 2019 to 28 February 2019):
- Spend a minimum of S$4,888 and stand to get a limited edition LNY His and Her FlashPay Card set (worth S$100).
- With a minimum spend of S$2,888, you stand to get the limited edition LNY His or Her FlashPay Card that is worth S$50.
Save on your shopping with the help of these deals:
- Get an additional 10% cashback when you shop on RebateMango (valid until 31 March 2019).
- Until 28 February 2019, you enjoy 20% off site wide when you shop on Zalora.
Enjoy your reunion dinner with these deals:
- Lobby Lounge, Crowne Plaza Changi Airport: Get 25% off Yusheng and Festive takeaway. This promotional offer is valid until 19 February 2019.
- Mandarin Oriental: Enjoy 15% off festive goodies (not including hampers) until 19 February 2019.
The American Express Platinum Credit Card
Looking for a credit card for all your dining needs? This is the one for you. The great thing about the American Express Platinum Credit Card is that its dining programmes are valid throughout the year and not just during the New Year!
The card’s platinum dining offers include:
- Love Dining @Hotels
- Save up to 50% of the bill amount at some of the best hotels in Singapore. There is no limit to the number of times you can visit a hotel and enjoy these savings!
- Get the Far Card Classic Membership for free and save up to 50% at Fairmont Singapore, Swissôtel Merchant Court, and Swissôtel The Stamford Singapore.
- Love Dining @ Restaurants: Enjoy savings of up to 50% at restaurants throughout Singapore.
- American Express Selects: Up to 50% savings at selected restaurants across the globe.
- American Express Global Dining Programme: Enjoy a complimentary appetizer, a bottle of wine on the house, or 20% off on your food purchases at restaurants all over the world.
You can also get your shopping done with this card. Just check out a few of the shopping deals:
- 20% savings on Zalora purchases, valid until 31 January 2019.
- Spend a minimum of S$200 at Eu Yan Sang and get a S$10 Eu Yan Sang voucher, valid until 4 February 2019.
UOB YOLO Card
If you only live once, it should be your duty to live it right. So, celebrate this Chinese New Year with savings courtesy of UOB YOLO.
You get 8% cashback on weekend dining and 3% cashback on weekday dining. This cashback rate is also applicable to online fashion spends. You know what this means, right? You can shop and eat to your heart’s content and save at the same time.
And it isn’t just money you save. Thanks to YOLO EAT! you can also save time by just choosing your preferred dining location. You will get a list of restaurants in the area that are currently running deals that you can take advantage of with your UOB YOLO Card.
Also, check out these dining offers:
- Café Mosaic, Carlton Hotel Singapore: Pay for 3 adults and 1 person gets to dine for free (maximum of 12 guests, for lunch or dinner buffet, and valid on February 5 and February 6, 2019).
- Din Tai Fung: Get 10% off on Prosperity Yu Sheng.
Indulge in some guilt-free shopping:
- Pedro: 15% off selected products. This discount is for online purchases only and is valid until 10 February 2019.
- A Pale Petal: Get 10% off on all purchases and 20% off on purchases with a minimum spend of S$250. Valid until 28 February 2019.
So, welcome the Year of the Pig with savings, happiness, and prosperity! Happy Chinese New Year to you and your family.
This article was written by BankBazaar.sg.
BankBazaar.sg is a leading online marketplace in Singapore that helps consumers compare and apply for financial products such as credit cards and personal loans.