Planning Your Last Minute Year End Trip? Fly During These Days for the Cheapest Rates
The year is coming to an end, and everyone is busy clearing their working leaves, booking flights, scouring the internet to look for the perfect, ideal destination to spend the remaining days of 2018. Have you been hustling non-stop since January and the only time you get to rest would most probably be the month of December or the last two weeks?
Last minute flights may get expensive on certain days, but if you are strategic when it comes to the destination, flight timing and dates, you may end up getting a bang for your buck, a really good flight deal!
Below are some days where you should book your flights at a cheaper rate, we would also be throwing in a couple of tips to help drop the price tag to your flight tickets if you are looking for the cheapest flight fares, last minute.
- TRAVEL TIP 1: Always Book Your Flights out of Singapore on a SATURDAY. As much as you can try to AVOID THURSDAY as it is the most expensive day.
- TRAVEL TIP 2: Always try to DEPART or start your travelling on a THURSDAY. Because it will cost so much more to begin your vacation on a SUNDAY. Weekends are OFTEN used as connecting days for any working adults as they do not need to apply leaves on either Saturday or Sunday typically, hence it would be much costlier to depart on a weekend.
- TRAVEL TIP 3: Economy flights are being paid the most in the month of December, hence it is highly recommended to book your flights at least 30 days ahead. The risk is all up to you and you could risk not getting the right flight with the right price if you were to book your trip past the 30 day mark, unless the cost of the flight ticket is not an issue (this would not be applicable to you).
- TRAVEL TIP 4: Keep a lookout for “leftover flights”, and if you are able to fly on short notice, there would be flights that are not fully booked and you are able to seize this opportunity to snag up a cheap deal from airlines! The risk here is that you would not be able to get side by side seats or guarantee the number of vacancy of the flight. This would only work if you are travelling alone or with a partner, period.
- TRAVEL TIP 5: Visit budget airline websites (E.g. Scoot, Jetstar, and AirAsia). Budget airlines like Scoot has made it a tradition to offer promotional flight fares every Tuesday and for Jetstar it is every Friday, whereas for AirAsia they have their own set of promotions. Every budget airline company would tend to review their sales on Monday, afterwhich, executing any new marketing strategies they already have planned out the next day.
- TRAVEL TIP 6: Fly during ODD hours and weekdays – Weird timings such as lunch timing (12- 2pm), pass midnight (2 – 5am) are weird timings where it is hard to get a public transport and it eats into their meal timing or sleep time. These are timings where travellers would most likely NOT book, that is when flight fares would be the cheapest if there are any available. Weekdays such as Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Saturdays along with mid-day flights is a good combination of getting a cheap rate for your air tickets.
- TRAVEL TIP 7: Refrain from booking direct flights, instead book connecting flights for a cheaper rate. Even when it comes to flying, everything is about convenience, there is a price to pay for having a direct flight as flying directly is faster. The perk for a connecting flight is that you get to travel to two different destinations instead of one, and you get to pay an overall lesser fare for your flight tickets. The only downside is the inconvenience as you have to make sure you do not miss the connecting flight.
- TRAVEL TIP 8: Make use of sites such as Skyscanner to search for the cheapest flight or book directly from the airline website instead of approaching traditional travel agencies as they will mark up their profit margins. Often, comparison sites would tie up with airline companies to throw in certain offers to entice travellers, else the airline themselves would have their own set of promotions if you were to book your flights directly.
- TRAVEL TIP 9: Follow and subscribe to various airline social media pages. Social media is a thing now and it is no exception even for airlines. Follow and like airline’s Facebook, instagram, Twitter pages as there would be some exclusive flight promos that are ongoing especially if it is nearing the year end. This is the best time to get travellers to book flight tickets with them, what better way than to reach out via social media.
- TRAVEL TIP 10: Pay for your flight tickets via ibanking, AXS or SAM machines. Try to avoid paying with your credit cards as there would be additional fees involved. These additional fees can go up to 10% of the cost of your flight tickets.
The above tips and days should be what you are looking out for if you are keen to spend what is left of the remaining days of 2018 overseas. Consider going on a vacation, everyone needs some time to unwind, not think of work for a period of time. The trick here is to have your money well spent, book your flight tickets at a cheaper rate, despite your busy working schedule, only allowing you to check on flight promos at such a short notice.
End of the day, try to avoid super last minute booking of flights unless you are travelling alone. This would give you time to prepare and if you are working you would also need to plan your leaves, apply them and handover your current on hand tasks before going for your vacation. It would not be responsible of you to just fly on short notice if you have a chunk of unreplied emails or any decision making in the company. If everything else is being accounted for, you are good to go!