REITs Focus: This is what’s happening with Hospitality REITs in Singapore 2017
The price performance of Hospitality REITS during the past 1 year have been nothing short of incredible.
These REITS typically own and manage hotels, that are hand-picked for their prime location within major cities, in countries like Singapore, Melbourne and London. A good management helps to ensure a steady stream of repeat bookings from business and leisure travelers, and high occupancy rates allow for a steady stream of dividends that the REITs are able to distribute to unitholders.
SGX alone is home to 5 REIT listings that derive more than 60% of their rental income from hospitality real estate assets.
These 5 REITs have witnessed on average a 15% gain in share price alone. Coupled with average annual dividend yield of 5% to 6.6%, investors would have reaped a total of 20% gains on invested capital over the past 1 year.
Frasers Hospitality Trust
Frasers Hospitality Trust is one of the hospitality REITs contributing to the overall vibrancy of the Singapore REIT market. It is a pure play hospitality REIT with a service residence portfolio, and is globally diversified with 15 properties in 9 cities. Intercontinental Singapore is one of its local holdings, with Sofitel Sidney Wentworth and Park International London as part of its overseas hospitality assets. Its Q1 2017 DPS came 4.2% in lower as compared to previous corresponding quarter due to a rights issue which increased the number of units outstanding. Its growth engine is in full force from the recent acquisition of Novotel Melbourne and Maritim Hotel Dresden and investors can look to stronger performance recovery from its Singapore and Japan assets. It is currently offering the highest yield among all hospitality REITs at 6.6% per annum.
Ascendas Hospitality Trust
Ascendas Hospitality Trust is another global REIT with prime assets scattered over top cities such as Sydney, Melbourne, Beijing, Tokyo and Singapore. Most hotels owned by the REIT are located in Australia and are mid-grade hotels: Pullman and Mercure and Novotel Sydney. Diversification is the REITs key strategy to deliver strong unit-holder returns. Its share price has risen nearly 20% from the start of the year. Should its Australian hotel property suffer a drop in occupancy levels as a whole, the REIT could look to other regions such as its China and Singapore portfolio to deliver returns. Another attractive feature is that Ascendas Hospitality REIT owns 3 and 4 star hotel properties which give higher operating margins as compared to higher end hotels.
Far East Hospitality Trust
Far East Hospitality Trust has been going strong as well for the past 1 year. Investors looking for a localised REIT can look to this Singapore focused REIT where all its hotel portfolios are primarily located in the major shopping district of Singapore, such as Orchard Parade, The Elizabeth Hotel and The Quincy Hotel. Its Q2 2017 financials were weak as DPS recorded a decrease of 4% but investors should look past quarter on quarter fluctuations and project expected returns beyond 5 years. Its 6.19% annual yield still gives investors decent returns on investment and Singapore’s resilience in attracting global tourists and business traveller should bode well for this REIT.
CDL Hospitality Trust
For investors looking for exposure in the global tourism sector, CDL Hospitality Trust is the REIT that should fall under the investors’ radar. Its property portfolios are scattered all over the world in major cities from Tokyo to Perth with huge tourist arrivals business travellers every single year. CDL HTrust provides excellent geographical diversification, backed by world class hotels run by solid management team. Its Singapore portfolio makes up 58% of total property portfolio, with the remaining 42% strategically located in other major cities. It is always on the hunt for quality hospitality assets with the latest being the acquisition of The Lowry Hotel in Manchester. Its track record is backed by an attractive dividend yield of 5.95% per annum, making it one of the best REITs in Singapore. Its performance over the past year has been good as well, delivering nearly 20% gains in unit price alone.
OUE Hospitality Trust
OUE Hospitality Trust would also make an interesting REIT investment should investors want a Singapore pure play hospitality REIT, similar to Far East Hospitality Trust. Its property portfolio comprises 5 star hotels namely Crowne Plaza and Mandarin Orchard. Its dividend yield is one of the highest offered at 6.2%. Singapore tourist arrivals had been on a steady uptrend over the many years up till 2016 with the Singapore government constantly seeking new inputs to attract tourist dollars. The hotels are upscale hotels catering to well-heeled tourist whom are less price sensitive and values great top notch hospitality hotel service. OUE Hospitality is well positioned to reap solid occupancy from these tourist segments.