Strong non-farm payroll boosts dollar, equities fall | CMC Markets Daily Commentary
A far better-than-expected non-farm jobs report led to further unwinding of a deep interest rate cut expectation, which sent the dollar higher and treasuries lower. Gold price slid against the strong dollar, despite heightened geopolitical tensions surrounding Iran’s uranium enrichment programme announced on Sunday.
June’s non-farm payroll came in at 224k, smashing consensus forecast of 160k and also marked a sharp rebound from the previous month’s reading of 75k. This underscores the strength of the US employment market, even though most of the job gains were from the service sector while manufacturing and construction remained lacklustre. The hourly wage growth came in at 0.2% mom, falling short of 0.3% expectations, while unemployment rates rose slightly to 3.7% as a result of higher participation rates.
A fabulous jobs report reduces the likelihood of a deep interest rate cut at the FOMC meeting in end July. However, markets still priced in a 95% likelihood of a 25bps rate cut and 5% chance of a 50bps cut. This Wednesday’s Fed meeting minutes and Powell’s testimony will be a key event to watch for clues of any change in their monetary policy outlook.
Asian equities might face some headwind this week as unwinding activities kick in. Recently, market rallies have reflected many positive expectations, such as the G20 meeting, the Fed rate cut and a dovish central bank head and ignored a weaker fundamental outlook. If US-China trade talk stalls or if the Fed fails to meet market expectation in cutting rates, unwinding activities will start to kick in.
Crude oil prices will likely get another boost from recent escalation in tensions between the US and Iran, following the Islamic country’s announcement to breach the uranium enrichment limit set in a nuclear deal back in 2015. This is widely viewed as a retaliation policy against recent US economic sanctions.
Recently, crude oil prices were suppressed by a slash in global energy demand and rising US shale oil production, which offset the effect of a 9-month extension in OPEC+ production. A further escalation in geopolitical tensions in the region may lead to adverse consequences and may disrupt sea bound oil shipment from the gulf region. Technically, Brent oil has found support at around US$ 63.6 and the immediate resistance can be found at US$ 65.8.
US Dollar Index – Sep 2019
CMC Markets is an execution-only service provider. The material (whether or not it states any opinions) is for general information purposes only, and does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment or other advice on which reliance should be placed. No opinion given in the material constitutes a recommendation by CMC Markets or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although we are not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, we do not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination.