Two Types of People you Need for Your Business
There are two types of people who work well together. People good at selling and those good at scaling. Thus if your strength is in operation, find a sales guy. On the other hand, if you have a good grasp of selling, then look for an operator. A partnership composed of a doer and a thinker make a perfect combination to drive business.
For you to grow your business, aim at partnering or hiring talented and smart people to handle tasks you are not good at. An effective entrepreneur teams with a person or people who can complement them. The first and foremost step is to understand your area of expertise. No one was born perfect in every area. Consider yourself sorted in your area of expertise and so the next step is to source for people to help you in the other area.
So let’s start by looking at a star salesperson. Who is this star salesperson? It is a kind of a person who fulfills two specific conditions. The first one is he achieves results in terms of profit margins and revenue. The second one is he monitors the firm’s sales process closely. This salesperson is the core engine of the business. You should never go wrong with having the right salesperson.
Selling is vital for your business survival, and so is the salesperson. Grant Cardone elaborates this fact in his book, sell or be sold. A salesperson must be competitive. So, how does one close a deal faster than anyone else? Here are the traits of excellent salespeople.
- They think in terms of building the business rather than sales. A great salesperson needs to think beyond sales. If you focus further than a sale, you quickly grab other people’s attention. People get more eager to know what you have to say. A business needs survival beyond one sale.
- They handle one customer at a time and leverage this customer to bring in more customers. They don’t forget a customer after a sale. Realistically, work begins after the sale. The first sale becomes a door to new clients and relationships. A salesperson should put effort to find out if the product sold fulfilled the client’s expectations. Out of this concern, the client feels happy and giving a referral will be a pleasure.
- They possess a positive attitude. A positive attitude is a fundamental aspect of selling. Consortium for Research on Emotional Intelligence reported that only 23% of sales success is dependent on intellectual skills. The rest of 77% is dependent on emotional intelligence. Selling is an art of infecting others with your enthusiasm causing them to make a purchase action.
- They possess excellent skills in public relations. They ensure they are well-known as the experts in selling the products they deal with. They achieve this by attending key sector events as speakers or delegates. They aim at turning their clients into fans by sharing knowledge through social media or articles in the press.
- They know how to prepare to make a sales’ deal. Selling is not a random process but requires the necessary preparation. “Give me 6 hours to cut down a tree, and I will spend the first 4 hours sharpening the axe.” – Abraham Lincoln. Likewise, a sales deal needs sufficient preparation. By taking the time to study the key people in a sale decision, you can easily influence them to make a purchase.
- They are strategic in their conversations with clients. They derive value from the time they spend speaking to their clients. They are not fast to speak but spend 70% of the time listening to the client. The reason behind this motive is to get as much information as possible. Then tailor the offer to suit their needs.
If you have a salesperson with the above attributes, you are good to go. Your other focus should go to a person good at scaling the business. Every entrepreneur desires to get a business off the ground or take it to the next level. Business growth is a two-step process. It is envisioning business future and working towards that vision. You need to work towards achieving this vision or get someone to help you in this direction.
A person who scales business is the top business strategist. Business strategists create viable plans from business ideas and execute them strategically to make them a reality. They direct the best course of action to bring business success. How can you know a person is a great business strategist? Here are the traits of business scalers.
- They are positive and confident. Scalers work responsibly towards bringing life to a mere goal. They create practical strategies and expect positive outcomes. They are also a source of encouragement to colleagues who implement their plans. They provide a conducive environment for the workforce to work with total dedication.
- Critical thinkers. Critical thinking is a recipe for business success and is a valuable talent. A critical thinker determines the best course of action and assists the business in attaining great success. Strategists look ahead to examine what to do and what was done to decide how to scale the business. They can distil information gathered into powerful insights.
- They are leaders. They manage and train a team of a skilled workforce. They possess strong leadership qualities and can maintain the team focused throughout the whole project. They learn from mistakes and never get discouraged. They believe in other people’s values. They also offer guidance and ensure there is effective communication without confusion.
- They are virtuous. People good at scaling portray honesty and care. You acquire success through others input. Without responsibility and reliability, it’s hard to win cooperation from your team. And thus you can’t become successful. On the other hand, being unethical subjects you to facing restrictions which then stand as a hindrance to Plan execution. Therefore, good ethics drive a team to work wholeheartedly to achieve the best results.
With these two types of individuals present in your business, growing business won’t be stressful. These two kinds of people are available out there; all you need is to seek from the best hires. Also, you can request for referrals from your current employees as they may know smart past co-workers.
Here are some more interesting articles you should read.